Saturday, January 8, 2011

Don't forget me...

  Hello my dear readers. I have not forgotten you, so do not despair. I've been slacking on outfit posts (and all posts) lately because I am volunteering in an ELL (English Language Learners) program and living with a refugee family in Portland, ME.
  So far, I love Portland. It's a great city, right on the water, and full of life, due to all the refugees. People from all over the world live here. My family is from the Sudan. I couldn't have asked for a nicer family to live with.
  I've learned so much about myself and about other cultures in the past few days. I think everyone should have an experience like mine at some point. I work at a middle school and help refugee students learn English. I help with vocab, writing, and reading comprehension. My favorite part of the job is going to the library with kids and helping them choose books. I also like being exposed to Sudanese culture. The food is great, and I have a new found love of Arabic tea. I will be picking up several boxes of that before the flight home.
From Maine with love,
Laura (a.k.a Laura-Lea (according to my host family))

0 comments:

Check me out now (check me out baby)